Friday 7 January 2011

greening our cities

100 Union Street, Urban Orchard...
Images © Lowri Drakley, 2011
Images © Lowri Drakley, 2011
My trip to the London Festival of Architecture opened my eyes to the reality of enhancing our urban environment and sparked food for thought on my dissertation question, 'The Evolution of Garden Design, its Effects and Importance upon British Society.' Throughout South Bank, there are ongoing community projects restoring elements of the wilderness back to the city, improving the urban space. 


As I made my way from Southwark to London Bridge station, I stumbled upon a community urban orchard. Protected by three walls, with an evocative train-line running overhead; a space filled with apple, pear, cherry and quince trees, blackberry bushes, strawberry plants and buzzing with interested passers-by and local residents relaxing, pottering  and socializing in the bright sunlight, what a fantastic sight. It was great to see people coming together and creatively getting involved with their surroundings.